Thursday, July 16, 2015

Numbers Don't Lie

Israel is calling me. Whether I'm looking for it or not, it's right there. However obscure, or unrelated...it's right there. I was watching "The Big Chill" (1983). In this movie, Glen Close is Sarah, and Kevin Kline plays her husband Harold. This reminded me: was Ruth Gordon a Holocaust survivor? You know, Ruth Gordon from "Harold and Maude"? (1971). Anyway, in Harold and Maude, there's a quick shot where Maude's sleeve is rolled up to reveal a stamped number on her arm.

The first time I noticed this number, I gasped: "Is that real??". A couple days ago, I was thinking I ought to look that up. So tonight, Kevin Kline playing Harold reminded me. I found an article written when Ruth Gordon died at the age of 88. As I read, I noticed that the first quote by a fellow actor who worked with Gordon...was from none other then Glen Close! I gasped a little, and giggled. Then I glanced at my TV screen: "There she is," I said. Apparently, Close was in a movie with Gordon called "Maxie," which, at the time of Gordon's death had yet to be released. The article, said nothing about Gordon having anything to do with the Holocaust. If this had been true for her, it absolutely would've been mentioned in a piece giving a recap of the life of such a social activist. Being that Gordon's last names was actually Jones, it was unlikely that she might've been involved in the Holocaust (at least, I thought so). However, one never knows...it's not impossible.

I came to the conclusion that the character Maude must've been a Holocaust survivor. So I found another article on the film "Harold and Maude.". This article, mentioned many hidden gems in the now famous cult classic. The author mentioned that this movie was the first place she'd ever heard the music of Cat Stevens. The article, BTW, is called "For the Love of Harold and Maude". Anyway, getting back to Cat Stevens, the author mentioned that she was constantly seeing his name everywhere, and he was all over the news (at the time). In her list of newsworthy events in Stevens life, was...(drumroll)...his deportation from Israel! I did not know that Cat Stevens had BEEN deported from Israel! (What can I say, I could not have cared less that he changed his name and converted to Islam, and all that). It was YEARS ago, and at the time it actually took place, I was a tiny baby! Wow. I'd gone on this little "detour" to take a little break from my various Israel Facebook pages, stories of the latest rockets fired, and never ending posts about this bad deal with Iran...yikes! I wanted some way to be steered away from all of that.

So, in a seemingly unrelated topic...there it is again! Israel, looking right at me! I don't care how obscure it is, or how (not) a big deal this seems. Israel, right now, is like the identical digits I keep seeing on clocks...always appearing in my life when I'm not looking for it. Wow. I LOVE this!! :)). Something (someone) bigger than myself is guiding me, saying "I'm paying attention.". Gee, what IS this crazy faith, anyway? BTW, Maude was the Holocaust survivor, and her stamped number let's us know that briefly without an in your face, "The Sorrow and the Pitty" sort of exposure. This leads me to believe that was certainly not real.

1 comment: